From Sagar Shukla <sagar_shu...@persistent.co.in>
Subject RE: Hadoop with Netapp
Date Thu, 25 Aug 2011 07:20:23 GMT
Hi Hakan,

        Please find my comments inline in blue :

-----Original Message-----
From: Hakan (c)lter [mailto:hakanilter@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2011 12:28 PM
To: common-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Hadoop with Netapp

Hi everyone,

We are going to create a new Hadoop cluster in our company, i have to get some advises from
you:

1. Does anyone have stored whole Hadoop data not on local disks but on Netapp or other storage
system? Do we have to store datas on local disks, if so is it because of performace issues?

<sagar>: Yes, we were using SAN LUNs for storing Hadoop data. SAN works faster than
NAS in terms of performance while writing the data to the storage. Also SAN LUNs can be auto-mounted
while booting up the system.

2. What do you think about running Hadoop nodes in virtual (VMware) servers?

<sagar>: If high speed computing is not a requirement for you then Hadoop nodes in VM
environment could be a good option, but one other slight drawback is when the VM crashes recovery
of the in-memory data would be gone. Hadoop takes care of some amount of failover, but there
is some amount of risk involved and requires good HA building capabilities.

Thanks,

Sagar

Thanks...

DISCLAIMER