From Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Hadoop JVM Size (Not MapReduce)
Date Fri, 19 Aug 2011 16:19:41 GMT
Extending on Bobby's pointer, you're looking for the
HADOOP_CLIENT_OPTS env-var. You can set it with the -Xmx/-Xms opts you
need under hadoop-env.sh or set it per command as you execute it.

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 9:04 PM, Adam Shook <ashook@clearedgeit.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
> I have a Hadoop related application that is integrated with HDFS and is started via the
command line with "hadoop jar ..."  The amount of data used by the application changes from
use case to use case, and I have to adjust the JVM that is started using the "hadoop jar"
command.  Typically, you just set the -Xmx and -Xms variables from the "java -jar" command,
but this doesn't seem to work.
> Does anyone know how I can set it?  Note that this is unrelated to the JVM size for
map and reduce tasks - there is no MapReduce involved in my application.
> Thanks in advance!
> --Adam
> PS - I imagine I can code my application to be hooked into HDFS or read from the Hadoop
configuration files by hand - but I would prefer Hadoop to do all the work for me!

Harsh J

View raw message