From Mohit Anchlia <mohitanch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Question about RAID controllers and hadoop
Date Fri, 12 Aug 2011 00:15:00 GMT
On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 3:26 PM, Charles Wimmer <cwimmer@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> We currently use P410s in 12 disk system.  Each disk is set up as a RAID0 volume.  Performance
is at least as good as a bare disk.

Can you please share what throughput you see with P410s? Are these SATA or SAS?

> On 8/11/11 3:23 PM, "GOEKE, MATTHEW (AG/1000)" <matthew.goeke@monsanto.com> wrote:
>
> If I read that email chain correctly then they were referring to the classic JBOD vs
multiple disks striped together conversation. The conversation that was started here is referring
to JBOD vs 1 RAID 0 per disk and the effects of the raid controller on those independent raids.

> Matt

than having a controller that allowed pure JBOD of 4 disks due to the cache on the controller.
If anyone has any personal experience with this I would love to know performance numbers but
our infrastructure guy is doing tests on exactly this over the next couple days so I will
pass it along once we have it.

>> Matt

JBOD.

>> -Bharath
>>

>> ________________________________

intended to be received only by persons entitled
>> to receive such information. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify
the sender immediately. Please delete it and
>> all attachments from any servers, hard drives or any other media. Other use of this
e-mail by you is strictly prohibited.

>> All e-mails and attachments sent and received are subject to monitoring, reading
and archival by Monsanto, including its
>> subsidiaries. The recipient of this e-mail is solely responsible for checking for
the presence of "Viruses" or other "Malware".
>> Monsanto, along with its subsidiaries, accepts no liability for any damage caused
by any such code transmitted by or accompanying
>> this e-mail or any attachment.
>>

>> The information contained in this email may be subject to the export control laws
and regulations of the United States, potentially
>> including but not limited to the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and sanctions
regulations issued by the U.S. Department of
>> Treasury, Office of Foreign Asset Controls (OFAC).  As a recipient of this information
you are obligated to comply with all