From Charles Wimmer <cwim...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: Question about RAID controllers and hadoop
Date Sun, 14 Aug 2011 23:00:37 GMT
[cwimmer@hostname bonnie++-1.03e]$ ./bonnie++ -d . -s 50000 -m P410 -f
Writing intelligently...done
Rewriting...done
Reading intelligently...done
start 'em...done...done...done...
Create files in sequential order...done.
Stat files in sequential order...done.
Delete files in sequential order...done.
Create files in random order...done.
Stat files in random order...done.
Delete files in random order...done.
Version 1.03e       ------Sequential Output------ --Sequential Input- --Random-
                    -Per Chr- --Block-- -Rewrite- -Per Chr- --Block-- --Seeks--
Machine        Size K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP  /sec %CP
P410         50000M           68392  12 21153   3           116423   4 216.8   0
                    ------Sequential Create------ --------Random Create--------
                    -Create-- --Read--- -Delete-- -Create-- --Read--- -Delete--
              files  /sec %CP  /sec %CP  /sec %CP  /sec %CP  /sec %CP  /sec %CP
                 16 22238  33 +++++ +++ +++++ +++ +++++ +++ +++++ +++ +++++ +++

P410,50000M,,,68392,12,21153,3,,,116423,4,216.8,0,16,22238,33,+++++,+++,+++++,+++,+++++,+++,+++++,+++,+++++,+++

On 8/11/11 5:15 PM, "Mohit Anchlia" <mohitanchlia@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 3:26 PM, Charles Wimmer <cwimmer@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> We currently use P410s in 12 disk system.  Each disk is set up as a RAID0 volume.  Performance
is at least as good as a bare disk.

Can you please share what throughput you see with P410s? Are these SATA or SAS?

> On 8/11/11 3:23 PM, "GOEKE, MATTHEW (AG/1000)" <matthew.goeke@monsanto.com> wrote:
>
> If I read that email chain correctly then they were referring to the classic JBOD vs
multiple disks striped together conversation. The conversation that was started here is referring
to JBOD vs 1 RAID 0 per disk and the effects of the raid controller on those independent raids.

> Matt

than having a controller that allowed pure JBOD of 4 disks due to the cache on the controller.
If anyone has any personal experience with this I would love to know performance numbers but
our infrastructure guy is doing tests on exactly this over the next couple days so I will
pass it along once we have it.

>> Matt

JBOD.

>> -Bharath
>>

>> ________________________________

intended to be received only by persons entitled
>> to receive such information. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify
the sender immediately. Please delete it and
>> all attachments from any servers, hard drives or any other media. Other use of this
e-mail by you is strictly prohibited.

>> All e-mails and attachments sent and received are subject to monitoring, reading
and archival by Monsanto, including its
>> subsidiaries. The recipient of this e-mail is solely responsible for checking for
the presence of "Viruses" or other "Malware".
>> Monsanto, along with its subsidiaries, accepts no liability for any damage caused
by any such code transmitted by or accompanying
>> this e-mail or any attachment.
>>

>> The information contained in this email may be subject to the export control laws
and regulations of the United States, potentially
>> including but not limited to the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and sanctions
regulations issued by the U.S. Department of
>> Treasury, Office of Foreign Asset Controls (OFAC).  As a recipient of this information
you are obligated to comply with all