From Liam Friel <liam.fr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: hadoop cluster on VM's
Date Mon, 15 Aug 2011 20:03:58 GMT
On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 7:31 PM, GOEKE, MATTHEW (AG/1000) <
matthew.goeke@monsanto.com> wrote:

> Is this just for testing purposes or are you planning on going into
> production with this? If it is the latter than I would STRONGLY advise to
> not give that a second thought due to how the framework handles I/O. However
> if you are just trying to test out distributed daemon setup and get some ops
> documentation then have at it :)
>
> Matt

Could you expand on that? Do you mean multiple VMs on a single server are a
no-no?
Or do you mean running Hadoop on something like Amazon EC2 for production is
also a no-no?
With some pointers to background if the latter please ...

Just for my education. I have run some (test I guess you could call them)
Hadoop clusters on EC2 and it was working OK.
However I didn't have the equivalent pile of physical hardware lying around
to do a comparison ... which I guess is why EC2 is so attractive.

Ta
Liam