From Robert J Berger <rber...@runa.com>
Subject Re: Is it ok to manually delta ~hadoop/mapred/local/taskTracker/archive/*
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2011 16:58:10 GMT
Great, I can restart the tasktracker with no issue. Glad I didn't manually delete the files!
I'll give your suggestions a try.

We're (still) working on migrating to the latest and greatest versions of hadoop/hbase.  (Have
to robustly backup our HBase first. We're almost there)

Thanks for the help!
Rob

On Aug 9, 2011, at 8:45 AM, Owen O'Malley wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 8:34 AM, Robert J Berger <rberger@runa.com> wrote:
>
>> Looks like I have something not configured particularly well so that
>> mapred/local/taskTracker/archive is a local filesystem and its filling
>> things up.
>>

> Configure the size of the distributed cache on each node using
> local.cache.size, which defaults to 10gb.
>

>> Is it ok to delete mapred/local/taskTracker/archive/* at the Unix level? Or
>> is there some other way to force that to be deleted.
>

> If you restart the task tracker, I believe it will delete it. You shouldn't
> delete it behind the scenes, because you'll cause failures for any running
> tasks and confuse the task tracker with what it has stored.
>

>> I can't really restart my hadoop cluster just to fix this right n ow. I'm
>> running hadoop 0.20.1.
>

> I'd highly recommend you upgrade to 0.20.203.0.
>
> -- Owen

Robert J Berger - CTO
Runa Inc.
+1 408-838-8896