From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The best architecture for EC2/Hadoop interface?
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2011 10:35:04 GMT
On 02/08/11 05:09, Mark Kerzner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to give my users a GUI that would allow them to start Hadoop clusters
> and run applications that I will provide on the AMIs. What would be a good
> approach to make it simple for the user? Should I write a Java Swing app
> that will wrap around the EC2 commands? Should I use some more direct EC2
> API? Or should I use a web browser interface?
>
> My idea was to give the user a Java Swing GUI, so that he gives his Amazon
> credentials to it, and it would be secure because the application is not
> exposed to the outside. Does this approach make sense?

1. I'm not sure that Java Swing GUI makes sense for anything anymore -if
it ever did.

2. Have a look at what other people have done first before writing your
own. Amazon provide something for their derivative of Hadoop, Elastic
MR, I suspect KarmaSphere and others may provide UIs in front of it too.

the other thing is most big jobs are more than one operation, so you are
a workflow world. Things like cascading pig and oozie help here, and if
you can bring them up in-cluster, you can get a web UI.