From A Df <abbey_dragonfor...@yahoo.com>
Subject hadoop cluster mode not starting up
Date Tue, 16 Aug 2011 10:02:57 GMT
Hello All:

I used a combination of tutorials to setup hadoop but most seems to be using either an old
version of hadoop or only using 2 machines for the cluster which isn't really a cluster. Does
anyone know of a good tutorial which setups multiple nodes for a cluster?? I already looked
at the Apache website but it does not give sample values for the conf files. Also each set
of tutorials seem to have a different set of parameters which they indicate should be changed
so now its a bit confusing. For example, my configuration sets a dedicate namenode, secondary
namenode and 8 slave nodes but when I run the start command it gives an error. Should I install
hadoop to my user directory or on the root? I have it in my directory but all the nodes have
a central file system as opposed to distributed so whatever I do on one node in my user folder
it affect all the others so how do i set the paths to ensure that it uses a distributed system?

For the errors below, I checked the directories and the files are there. Am I not sure what
went wrong and how to set the conf to not have central file system. Thank you.

Error message
CODE
w1153435@n51:~/hadoop-0.20.2_cluster> bin/start-dfs.sh
bin/start-dfs.sh: line 28: /w1153435/hadoop-0.20.2_cluster/bin/hadoop-config.sh: No such file
or directory
bin/start-dfs.sh: line 50: /w1153435/hadoop-0.20.2_cluster/bin/hadoop-daemon.sh: No such file
or directory
bin/start-dfs.sh: line 51: /w1153435/hadoop-0.20.2_cluster/bin/hadoop-daemons.sh: No such
file or directory
bin/start-dfs.sh: line 52: /w1153435/hadoop-0.20.2_cluster/bin/hadoop-daemons.sh: No such
file or directory
CODE

I had tried running this command below earlier but also got problems:
CODE
w1153435@ngs:~/hadoop-0.20.2_cluster> export HADOOP_CONF_DIR=${HADOOP_HOME}/conf
w1153435@ngs:~/hadoop-0.20.2_cluster> export HADOOP_SLAVES=${HADOOP_CONF_DIR}/slaves
w1153435@ngs:~/hadoop-0.20.2_cluster> ${HADOOP_HOME}/bin/slaves.sh "mkdir -p /home/w1153435/hadoop-0.20.2_cluster/tmp/hadoop"
-bash: /bin/slaves.sh: No such file or directory
w1153435@ngs:~/hadoop-0.20.2_cluster> export HADOOP_HOME=/home/w1153435/hadoop-0.20.2_cluster
w1153435@ngs:~/hadoop-0.20.2_cluster> ${HADOOP_HOME}/bin/slaves.sh "mkdir -p /home/w1153435/hadoop-0.20.2_cluster/tmp/hadoop"
cat: /conf/slaves: No such file or directory
CODE

Cheers,
A Df