From jagaran das <jagaran_...@yahoo.co.in>
Subject Re: Namenode Scalability
Date Wed, 10 Aug 2011 23:15:58 GMT

Jagaran

________________________________
From: Michel Segel <michael_segel@hotmail.com>
To: "common-user@hadoop.apache.org" <common-user@hadoop.apache.org>
Cc: "common-user@hadoop.apache.org" <common-user@hadoop.apache.org>; jagaran das <jagaran_das@yahoo.co.in>
Sent: Wednesday, 10 August 2011 11:26 AM
Subject: Re: Namenode Scalability

So many questions, why stop there?

First question... What would cause the name node to have a GC issue?
Second question... You're streaming 1PB a day. Is this a single stream of data?
Are you writing this to one file before processing, or are you processing the data directly
on the ingestion stream?

Are you also filtering the data so that you are not saving all of the data?

This sounds like a homework assignment than a real world problem.

I guess people don't race cars against trains or have two trains traveling in different directions
anymore... :-)

Mike Segel

On Aug 10, 2011, at 12:07 PM, jagaran das <jagaran_das@yahoo.co.in> wrote:

> To be precise, the projected data is around 1 PB.
> But the publishing rate is also around 1GBPS.
>
> Please suggest.

GC cycle kicks in.
> 2. Can we have multiple federated Name nodes  sharing the same slaves and then we can
distribute the writes accordingly.