From Tom Deutsch <tdeut...@us.ibm.com>
Subject RE: Which release to use?
Date Fri, 15 Jul 2011 16:38:08 GMT
One quick clarification - IBM GA'd a product called BigInsights in 2Q. It
faithfully uses the Hadoop stack and many related projects - but provides
a number of extensions (that are compatible) based on customer requests.
Not appropriate to say any more on this list, but the info on it is all
publically available.

Tom Deutsch
Program Director
CTO Office: Information Management
Hadoop Product Manager / Customer Exec
IBM
3565 Harbor Blvd
Costa Mesa, CA 92626-1420
tdeutsch@us.ibm.com

Michael Segel <michael_segel@hotmail.com>
07/15/2011 07:58 AM
Please respond to
common-user@hadoop.apache.org

<common-user@hadoop.apache.org>
cc

Subject
RE: Which release to use?

Unfortunately the picture is a bit more confusing.

Yahoo! is now HortonWorks. Their stated goal is to not have their own
derivative release but to sell commercial support for the official Apache
release.
So those selling commercial support are:
*Cloudera
*HortonWorks
*MapRTech
*EMC (reselling MapRTech, but had announced their own)
*IBM (not sure what they are selling exactly... still seems like smoke and
mirrors...)
*DataStax

So while you can use the Apache release, it may not make sense for your
organization to do so. (Said as I don the flame retardant suit...)

The issue is that outside of HortonWorks which is stating that they will
support the official Apache release, everything else is a derivative work
of Apache's Hadoop. From what I have seen, Cloudera's release is the
closest to the Apache release.

Like I said, things are getting interesting.

HTH