From Owen O'Malley <o...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Which release to use?
Date Thu, 14 Jul 2011 23:45:40 GMT

On Jul 14, 2011, at 4:33 PM, Teruhiko Kurosaka wrote:

> I'm a newbie and I am confused by the Hadoop releases.
> I thought 0.21.0 is the latest & greatest release that I
> should be using but I noticed 0.20.203 has been released
> lately, and 0.21.X is marked "unstable, unsupported".
>
> Should I be using 0.20.203?

Yes, I apologize for confusing release numbering, but the best release to use is 0.20.203.0.
It includes security, job limits, and many other improvements over 0.20.2 and 0.21.0. Unfortunately,
it doesn't have the new sync support so it isn't suitable for using with HBase. Most large
clusters use a separate version of HDFS for HBase.

-- Owen