From Joey Echeverria <j...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Running queries using index on HDFS
Date Mon, 25 Jul 2011 23:15:15 GMT
To add to what Bobby said, you can get block locations with
fs.getFileBlockLocations() if you want to open based on locality.

-Joey

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 3:00 PM, Robert Evans <evans@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> Sofia,
>
> You can access any HDFS file from a normal java application so long as your classpath
and some configuration is set up correctly.  That is all that the hadoop jar command does.
 It is a shell script that sets up the environment for java to work with Hadoop.  Look at
the example for the Tool Class

> http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/current/api/org/apache/hadoop/util/Tool.html
>
> If you delete the JobConf stuff you can then just talk to the FIleSystem by doing the
following

> Path p = new Path("URI OF FILE TO OPEN");
> FileSystem fs = p.getFileSystem(conf);
> InputStream in = fs.open(p);
>
> Now you can use in to read your data.  Just be sure to close it when you are done.
>
> --Bobby Evans
>

> On 7/25/11 4:40 PM, "Sofia Georgiakaki" <geosofie_tuc@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Good evening,
>
> I have built an Rtree on HDFS, in order to improve the query performance of high-selectivity
spatial queries.
> The Rtree is composed of a number of hdfs files (each one created by one Reducer, so
as the number of the files is equal to the number of the reducers), where each file is a subtree
of the root of the Rtree.
> I investigate the way to use the Rtree in an efficient way, with respect to the locality
of each file on hdfs (data-placement).

> I would like to ask, if it is possible to read a file which is on hdfs, from a java application
(not MapReduce).
> In case this is not possible (as I believe), either I should download the files on the
local filesystem (which is not a solution, since the files could be very large), orrun the
queries using the Hadoop.
> In order to maximise the gain, I should probably process a batch of queries during each
Job, and run each query on a node that is "near" to the files that are involved in handling
the specific query.

> Can I find the node where each file is located (or at least most of its blocks), and
run on that node a reducer that handles these queries? Could the function  DFSClient.getBlockLocations()
help ?

--
Joseph Echeverria
Cloudera, Inc.