From Arun Murthy <...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Which release to use?
Date Tue, 19 Jul 2011 03:06:16 GMT
Joe,

The dev community is currently gearing up for hadoop-0.23 off trunk.

 0.23 is a massive step forward with with HDFS Federation, NextGen
MapReduce and possible others such as wire-compat and HA NameNode.

In a couple of weeks I plan to create the 0.23 branch off trunk and we
then spend all our energies stabilizing & pushing the release out.
Please see my note to general@ for more details.

Arun

On Jul 18, 2011, at 7:01 PM, Joe Stein <charmalloc@allthingshadoop.com> wrote:

> So, last I checked this list was about Apache Hadoop not about derivative works.
>
> The Cloudera team has always been diligent (you rock) about redirecting non apache CDH
releases to their list for answers.

> I commend those supporting apache releases of Hadoop too, very cool!!!
>
> But yeah, even I have to ask what the latest release will be.  Is there going to be a
single Hadoop release or a continued branch that Horton maintains and will only support?

> There is something to be said for release from trunk that gets everyone on the same page
towards our common goals.  You can pin the "state the obvious" paper on my back but kinda
feel it had to be said.

> One love, Apache Hadoop!
>
> /*
> Joe Stein
> http://www.medialets.com
> Twitter: @allthingshadoop
> */
>
> On Jul 18, 2011, at 9:51 PM, Michael Segel <michael_segel@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>> Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 18:19:38 -0700
>>> Subject: Re: Which release to use?
>>> From: mcsrivas@gmail.com
>>> To: common-user@hadoop.apache.org
>>>
>>> Mike,
>>>
>>> Just a minor inaccuracy in your email. Here's setting the record straight:
>>>
>>> 1. MapR directly sells their distribution of Hadoop. Support is from  MapR.
>>> 2. EMC also sells the MapR distribution, for use on any hardware. Support is
>>> from EMC worldwide.
>>> 3. EMC also sells a Hadoop appliance, which has the MapR distribution
>>> specially built for it. Support is from EMC.
>>>
>>> 4. MapR also has a free, unlimited, unrestricted version called M3, which
>>> has the same 2-5x performance, management and stability improvements, and
>>> includes NFS. It is not crippleware, and the unlimited, unrestricted, free
>>> use does not expire on any date.
>>>
>>> Hope that clarifies what MapR is doing.
>>>
>>> thanks & regards,
>>> Srivas.
>>>
>> Srivas,
>>
>> I'm sorry, I thought I was being clear in that I was only addressing EMC and not
MapR directly.
>> I was responding to post about EMC selling a Greenplum appliance. I wanted to point
out that EMC will resell MapR's release along with their own (EMC) support.

>> The point I was trying to make was that with respect to derivatives of Hadoop, I
believe that MapR has a more compelling story than either EMC or DataStax. IMHO replacing
Java HDFS w either GreenPlum or Cassandra has a limited market.  When a company is going to
look at a M/R solution cost and performance are going to be at the top of the list. MapR isn't
cheap but if you look at the features in M5, if they work, then you have a very compelling
reason to look at their release. Some of the people I spoke to when I was in Santa Clara were
in the beta program. They indicated that MapR did what they claimed.