From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Which release to use?
Date Fri, 15 Jul 2011 21:00:39 GMT
On 15/07/2011 15:58, Michael Segel wrote:

> Unfortunately the picture is a bit more confusing.
>
> Yahoo! is now HortonWorks. Their stated goal is to not have their own derivative release
but to sell commercial support for the official Apache release.
> So those selling commercial support are:
> *Cloudera
> *HortonWorks
> *MapRTech
> *EMC (reselling MapRTech, but had announced their own)
> *IBM (not sure what they are selling exactly... still seems like smoke and mirrors...)
> *DataStax

+ Amazon, indirectly, that do their own derivative work of some release
of Hadoop (which version is it based on?)

I've used 0.21, which was the first with the new APIs and, with MRUnit,
has the best test framework. For my small-cluster uses, it worked well.
(oh, and I didn't care about security)