From Aaron Baff <Aaron.B...@telescope.tv>
Subject RE: NullPointerException when running multiple reducers with Hadoop 0.22.0-SNAPSHOT
Date Thu, 30 Jun 2011 17:02:59 GMT
Are you submitting from a Windows machine? I remember seeing at one point in time something
like this dealing with trying to find the user & group on MR submission (if you look,
it has to do with javax.security.auth and org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation),
and ran into this when submitting from a Windows machine.

--Aaron

-----Original Message-----
From: Paolo Castagna [mailto:castagna.lists@googlemail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 11:54 PM
To: common-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: NullPointerException when running multiple reducers with Hadoop 0.22.0-SNAPSHOT

Hi,
I am using Apache Whirr to setup an Hadoop cluster on EC2 using Hadoop
0.22.0 SNAPSHOTs (nightly) builds from Jenkins. For details, see [1,2].
(Is there a better place where I can get nightly builds for Hadoop?)

I have a Reducer which does not emit any (key,value) pairs (it generates
only side effect files). When I run using only one reducer everything seems
fine. If I setup multiple reducers, each one generating different side effect
files, I get a NullPointerException:

  WARN  Exception running child : java.lang.NullPointerException
    at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskLogAppender.flush(TaskLogAppender.java:96)
    at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskLog.syncLogs(TaskLog.java:239)
    at
org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.doAs(UserGroupInformation.java:1153)

Have you ever seen this exception/stacktrace?

My driver is here [3] and the reducer is here [4].

Regards,
Paolo

  [1] https://github.com/castagna/tdbloader3/blob/master/hadoop-ec2.properties
  [2]