From "Bible, Landy" <landy-bi...@utulsa.edu>
Subject RE: Hadoop on windows with bat and ant scripts
Date Fri, 10 Jun 2011 14:23:39 GMT
Hi Raja,

I'm currently running HDFS on Windows 7 desktops.  I had to create a hadoop.bat that provided
the same functionality of the shell scripts, and some Java Service Wrapper configs to run
the DataNodes and NameNode as windows services.  Once I get my system more functional I plan
to do a write up about how I did it, but it wasn't too difficult.  I'd also like to see Hadoop
become less platform dependent.  Java is supposed to be Write Once - Run Anywhere, but a lot
of java projects seem to forget that.

 So far, I've been unable to make MapReduce work correctly.  The services run, but things
don't work, however I suspect that this is due to DNS not working correctly in my environment.

-Landy

-----Original Message-----
From: Raja Nagendra Kumar [mailto:Nagendra.Raja@tejasoft.com]
Sent: Friday, June 10, 2011 12:38 AM
To: core-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Hadoop on windows with bat and ant scripts

Hi,

I see hadoop would need unix (on windows with Cygwin) to run.
It would be much nice if Hadoop gets away from the shell scripts though appropriate ant scripts
or with java Admin Console kind of model. Then it becomes lighter for development.

Are there any known plans or am I missing some thing..:)

Regards,
Raja Nagendra Kumar,
C.T.O
www.tejasoft.com