From Edward Capriolo <edlinuxg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Verbose screen logging on hadoop-0.20.203.0
Date Sun, 05 Jun 2011 17:13:52 GMT
On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 1:04 PM, Shi Yu <shiyu@uchicago.edu> wrote:

> We just upgraded from 0.20.2 to hadoop-0.20.203.0
>
> Running the same code ends up a massive amount of debug
> information on the screen output. Normally this type of
> information is written to logs/userlogs directory. However,
> nothing is written there now and seems everything is outputted
> to screen.
>
> We did set the HADOOP_LOG_DIR path in hadoop-env.sh
> Other settings are almost the same.
>
> What is the most likely reason triggering this verbose log
> output? How should it be turned off?
>

> Shi

I think what is happening is you are using an older log4j.properties file
with a newer hadoop. Since many classes are renamed, gone, you tend to get
lots of output. FSAuditSystem something is always a good culprit for this.
You can use the LogLevelServlet to change these at runtime without
restarting then make the related changes to the log4j.properties.