From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Hadoop on windows with bat and ant scripts
Date Mon, 13 Jun 2011 12:54:37 GMT
On 06/12/2011 03:01 AM, Raja Nagendra Kumar wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I see hadoop would need unix (on windows with Cygwin) to run.
> It would be much nice if Hadoop gets away from the shell scripts though
> appropriate ant scripts or with java Admin Console kind of model. Then it
> becomes lighter for development.

The overhead of executing ant vs shell scripts would make things worse
on Linux clusters. The cost of installing cygwin on developer desktops
isn't that high.

There's been discussions for a better native library for Hadoop
operations, but it would be biased towards Unix (POSIX file permissions,
paths, etc).