From Michael Segel <michael_se...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Anyone using layer 2 vlans in their cluster?
Date Mon, 02 May 2011 14:18:15 GMT

yes please.

I'm curious as to the impact on overall performance.

I would imagine that layer 2 traffic would take precedence over layer 3 traffic.

Thx

-Mike

> From: james@tynt.com
> Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 08:11:31 -0600
> Subject: Re: Anyone using layer 2 vlans in their cluster?
> To: common-user@hadoop.apache.org
>
> I think we have Mr. Segel. I could dig more with the it guys if you're
> interested.
>
> Sent from my mobile. Please excuse the typos.
>
> On 2011-05-02, at 8:03 AM, Michael Segel  wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > This may be a bit esoteric but I was thinking about clusters and cluster growth
within a machine room.

> > It may not be possible to get contiguous rack space for a very large cluster. I
was wondering if anyone had built out a large cluster and had to implement a vlan (layer 2
virtual lan) to make the cluster 'look and feel' as if the machines were racked and co-located
together?