From "Jones, Nick" <nick.jo...@amd.com>
Subject RE: Fixing a bad HD
Date Tue, 26 Apr 2011 02:05:07 GMT
Several SATA controllers support hot-swapping in Linux, but you're still at the whim of replication.

Nick Jones

-----Original Message-----
From: James Seigel [mailto:james@tynt.com]
Sent: Monday, April 25, 2011 8:33 PM
To: common-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: Fixing a bad HD

Good point. Advice without details can be tough.

Additional notes:  make sure you have three replicas and the blocks
are replicated. :)

Sent from my mobile. Please excuse the typos.

On 2011-04-25, at 7:04 PM, Brian Bockelman <bbockelm@cse.unl.edu> wrote:

> Much quicker, but less safe: data might become inaccessible between boots if you simultaneously
lose another node.  Probably not an issue at 3 replicas, but definitely an issue at 2.

> Brian
>
> On Apr 25, 2011, at 7:58 PM, James Seigel wrote:
>
>> Quicker:
>>
>> Shut off power
>> Throw hard drive out put new one in
>> Turn power back on.
>>
>> Sent from my mobile. Please excuse the typos.
>>
>> On 2011-04-25, at 5:38 PM, Mayuran Yogarajah
>> <mayuran.yogarajah@casalemedia.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> One of our nodes has a bad hard disk which needs to be replaced.  I'm planning
on doing the following:
>>> 1) Decommission the node
>>> 2) Replace the disk