From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Memory mapped resources
Date Wed, 13 Apr 2011 10:54:10 GMT
Guys, I'm not the one who said 'HDFS' unless I had a brain bubble in
my original message. I asked for a distribution mechanism for
code+mappable data. I appreciate the arrival of some suggestions.

Ted is correct that I know quite a bit about mmap; I had a lot to do
with the code in ObjectStore that ran a VM system in user space by
mmaping files and handling SIGSEGV and the Windows moral equivalent.
I am fully-aware that a 'simple ' HDFS solution involves hauling the
entire file onto each node, contiguously, and a 'complex' one involves
either an NFS server on top of HDFS or, for the truly enthusiastic,
things in the kernel a-la ClearCase.

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 12:09 AM, Ted Dunning <tdunning@maprtech.com> wrote:
> Benson is actually a pretty sophisticated guy who knows a lot about mmap.
> I engaged with him yesterday on this since I know him from Apache.
> On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 7:16 PM, M. C. Srivas <mcsrivas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am not sure if you realize, but HDFS is not VM integrated.

View raw message