From Michael Segel <michael_se...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: CDH and Hadoop
Date Wed, 23 Mar 2011 14:44:31 GMT

Rita,

Short answer...

Cloudera's release is free, and they do also offer a support contract if you want support
from them.
Cloudera has sources, but most use yum (redhat/centos) to download an already built release.

Should you use it?
Depends on what you want to do.

If your goal is to get up and running with Hadoop and then focus on *using* Hadoop/HBase/Hive/Pig/etc...
then it makes sense.

If your goal is to do a deep dive in to Hadoop and get your hands dirty mucking around with
the latest and greatest in trunk? Then no. You're better off building your own off the official
Apache release.

Many companies choose Cloudera's release for the following reasons:
* Paid support is available.
* Companies focus on using a tech not developing the tech, so Cloudera does the heavy lifting
while Client Companies focus onĀ  'USING' Hadoop.
* Cloudera's release makes sure that the versions in the release work together. That is that
when you down load CHD3B4, you get a version of Hadoop that will work with the included version
of HBase, Hive, etc ...

And no, its never a good idea to try and mix and match Hadoop from different environments
and versions in a cluster.
(I think it will barf on you.)

Does that help?

-Mike