From Ravi Prakash <ravip...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: live/dead node problem
Date Tue, 29 Mar 2011 21:37:05 GMT
I set these parameters for quickly discovering live / dead nodes.

For 0.20 : heartbeat.recheck.interval
For 0.22 : dfs.namenode.heartbeat.recheck-interval dfs.heartbeat.interval

Cheers,
Ravi

On 3/29/11 10:24 AM, "Michael Segel" <michael_segel@hotmail.com> wrote:

Rita,

When the NameNode doesn't see a heartbeat for 10 minutes, it then recognizes that the node
is down.

Per the Hadoop online documentation:
"Each DataNode sends a Heartbeat message to the NameNode periodically. A network partition
can cause a
        subset of DataNodes to lose connectivity with the NameNode. The NameNode detects this
condition by the
        absence of a Heartbeat message. The NameNode marks DataNodes without recent Heartbeats
as dead and
        does not forward any new IO requests to them. Any data that was
        registered to a dead DataNode is not available to HDFS any more. DataNode death may
cause the replication
        factor of some blocks to fall below their specified value. The NameNode constantly
tracks which blocks need
        to be replicated and initiates replication whenever necessary. The necessity for re-replication
may arise due
        to many reasons: a DataNode may become unavailable, a replica may become corrupted,
a hard disk on a
        DataNode may fail, or the replication factor of a file may be increased.
        "

I was trying to find out if there's an hdfs-site parameter that could be set to decrease this
time period, but wasn't successful.

HTH

-Mike