From Harsh J <qwertyman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Question on Master
Date Wed, 16 Mar 2011 17:43:05 GMT
NameNode and JobTracker do not require a lot of storage space by
themselves. The NameNode needs some space to store its edits and
fsimage, and both require logging space.

However, you may make use of multiple disks for NameNode, in order to
have a redundant backup copy of the NN image available in case one of
the disks crash. Other solutions to this second/third location include
storing to an HA-NFS mount, or an externally attached disk mount.

NameNode data is stored in the ${dfs.name.dir} set of directories
[Defined in hdfs-site.xml]. Ensure its content is preserved perfectly
(including permissions) if you're planning to switch disks for your
NN.

--
Harsh J
http://harshj.com