From <praveen.pe...@nokia.com>
Subject Exception when running the hadoop job
Date Thu, 17 Mar 2011 19:39:03 GMT
Hadoop jobs were running fine until we restarted all hadoop vms today. After retsrating I am
now seeing the following exception. I don't remember setting that property when installing
so it must be going with default value.

Any thoughts on why this would happen after restarting the machines? I did some googling and
some people mentioned there must be atleast 2 slave nodes running but in my case I can see
5 slave nodes running fine on the hadoop admin console's dfshealth. I can copy the data onto
hdfs but only when I submitted the job I am seeing this error.

Caused by: org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RemoteException: java.io.IOException: No valid local directories
in property: mapred.local.dir
        at org.apache.hadoop.conf.Configuration.getLocalPath(Configuration.java:891)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobConf.getLocalPath(JobConf.java:280)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobInProgress.<init>(JobInProgress.java:250)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobInProgress.<init>(JobInProgress.java:234)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobTracker.submitJob(JobTracker.java:2993)

Praveen