From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How to apply Patch
Date Thu, 31 Mar 2011 09:41:17 GMT
On 31/03/11 07:37, Adarsh Sharma wrote:
> Thanks a lot for such deep explanation :
>
> I have done it now, but it doesn't help me in my original problem for
> which I'm doing this.
>
> Please if you have some idea comment on it. I attached the problem.

Sadly. Matt's deep explanation is what you need, low-level that it is

-patches are designed to be applied to source, so you need the apache
source tree, not any binary installations.

-you need to be sure that the source version you have matches that the
patch is designed to be applied against, unless you want to get into the
problem of understanding the source enough to fix inconsistencies.

-you need to rebuild hadoop afterwards.

Because Apache code is open source, patches and the like are all bits of
source. This is not windows where the source is secret and all os
updates are bits of binary code. The view is that if you want to apply
patches, then yes, you do have to play at the source level.

The good news is once you can do that for one patch, you can apply
others, and you will be in a position to find and fix bugs yourself.

-steve