From Thomas Koch <tho...@koch.ro>
Subject Re: Installing Hadoop on Debian Squeeze
Date Thu, 17 Mar 2011 18:33:02 GMT
Dieter Plaetinck:
> Hi,
> I see there are various posts claiming hadoop is available through official
> debian mirrors (for debian squeeze, i.e. stable): *
> http://www.debian-news.net/2010/07/17/apache-hadoop-in-debian-squeeze/ *
> http://blog.isabel-drost.de/index.php/archives/213/apache-hadoop-in-debian
> -squeeze
>
> However, it seems this is not (no longer?) the case:
> http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=hadoop <- the packages are only
> in unstable? (I can easily verify this, my debian squeeze box does not
> find the packages, even after updating)
>
> What happened? I couldn't find any info on whether the packages were
> removed from squeeze.
>
> I also tried using the Cloudera repository.
> Note that the official installation document does not list instructions for
> Debian, only Ubuntu, Suse and RH. ( see
> https://docs.cloudera.com/display/DOC/CDH3+Installation)
> In fact it seems Debian is not supported at all:
> https://docs.cloudera.com/display/DOC/Before+You+Install+CDH3+on+a+Cluster
>
> Just for the heck of it, I tried following the Ubuntu instructions, which
> failed as well. (the cloudera repository does not have squeeze packages).
> FWIW:
>
> # lsb_release -c
> Codename:	squeeze
> # echo 'deb http://archive.cloudera.com/debian squeeze-cdh3 contrib' >>
> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/cloudera.list # echo 'deb-src
> http://archive.cloudera.com/debian squeeze-cdh3 contrib' >>
> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/cloudera.list # curl -s
> http://archive.cloudera.com/debian/archive.key | apt-key add - OK
> # aptitude update
> (...)
> Hit http://ftp.belnet.be squeeze Release
> Err http://archive.cloudera.com squeeze-cdh3/contrib Sources
>   404  Not Found
> Err http://archive.cloudera.com squeeze-cdh3/contrib i386 Packages
>   404  Not Found
> Get:6 http://ftp.belnet.be squeeze-updates Release [41.8 kB]
> (...)
> Fetched 150 kB in 5s (28.7 kB/s)
>
> # aptitude search hadoop
> #
>

> So, what's the best way to install Hadoop on Debian Squeeze?
>
> Thanks,
> Dieter
Hi Dieter,

thank you for your interest in "official" Debian packages. I'm the maintainer
of HBase, Hadoop and ZooKeeper in Debian. I started these packaging efforts as
part of my last employment which I did quit last month. I'm back to university
for the next month and don't know yet, whether I'll want to continue working
with Hadoop or do something else.
Therefor the packages are unfortunately highly neglected since some months and
I wanted to discus their future after my last exam next saturday.

Currently my advise is to use the Debian packages from cloudera.

Best regards,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro