From Milind Bhandarkar <mbhandar...@linkedin.com>
Subject Re: CUDA on Hadoop
Date Wed, 09 Feb 2011 18:08:24 GMT
My ex-colleague, Sanjiv Satoor (currently at NVidia in Pune, India), and I have had some discussions
about it. He is (obviously) very interested. Please contact him for more info.

- milind

On Feb 9, 2011, at 6:45 AM, Steve Loughran wrote:

> On 09/02/11 13:58, Harsh J wrote:
>> You can check-out this project which did some work for Hama+CUDA:
>> http://code.google.com/p/mrcl/
>
> Amazon let you bring up a Hadoop cluster on machines with GPUs you can code against,
but I haven't heard of anyone using it. The big issue is bandwidth; it just doesn't make sense
for a classic "scan through the logs" kind of problem as the disk:GPU bandwidth ratio is even
worse than disk:CPU.

> That said, if you were doing something that involved a lot of compute on a block of data
(e.g. rendering tiles in a map), this could work.

---
Milind Bhandarkar
mbhandarkar@linkedin.com