From mike anderson <saidthero...@gmail.com>
Subject Fwd: multiple namenode directories
Date Thu, 10 Feb 2011 17:18:10 GMT
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: mike anderson <saidtherobot@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 11:57 AM
Subject: multiple namenode directories
To: core-user@hadoop.apache.org

This should be a straightforward question, but better safe than sorry.

I wanted to add a second name node directory (on an NFS as a backup), so now
my hdfs-site.xml contains:

  <property>
    <name>dfs.name.dir</name>
    <value>/mnt/hadoop/name</value>
  </property>
  <property>
    <name>dfs.name.dir</name>
    <value>/public/hadoop/name</value>
  </property>

When I go to start DFS i'm getting the exception:

org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.common.InconsistentFSStateException: Directory
/public/hadoop/name is in an inconsistent state: storage directory does not
exist or is not accessible.

After googling a bit, it seems like I want to do "bin/hadoop namenode
-format"

Is this right? As long as I shut down DFS before issuing the command I
shouldn't lose any data?

Thanks in advance,
Mike