From Konstantin Boudnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: MRUnit and Herriot
Date Wed, 02 Feb 2011 18:58:06 GMT
(Moving to common-user where this belongs)

Herriot is system test framework which runs against a real physical
cluster deployed with a specially crafted build of Hadoop. That
instrumented build of provides an extra APIs not available in Hadoop
otherwise. These APIs are created to facilitate cluster software
testability. Herriot isn't limited by MR but also covered (although in
a somewhat lesser extend) HDFS side of Hadoop.

MRunit is for MR job "unit" testing as in making sure that your MR job
is ok and/or to allow you to debug it locally before scale deployment.

So, long story short - they are very different ;) Herriot can do
intricate fault injection and can work closely with a deployed cluster
(say control Hadoop nodes and daemons); MRUnit is focused on MR jobs
testing.

Hope it helps.
--
  Take care,