From Marc Farnum Rendino <mvg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Why Hadoop is slow in Cloud
Date Tue, 18 Jan 2011 13:41:22 GMT
Virtualization != Emulation

Yes, virtualization does have its own costs (as does running directly
on hardware) - depending on the specifics of both the virtualization
*and* the task at hand.

If my task (in the general sense) is CPU bound, it doesn't matter (to
me) if the virtualization has a disk I/O penalty.

If on the other hand, my task is limited by a disk I/O penalty, I'll
weigh that into the *total* cost/benefit, and virtualization may not -
or may still - be an advantageous choice.

Context is king.