From Brian Bockelman <bbock...@cse.unl.edu>
Subject Re: monit? daemontools? jsvc? something else?
Date Tue, 04 Jan 2011 13:43:46 GMT
I'll second this opinion.  Although there are some tools in life that need to be actively managed
like this (and even then, sometimes management tools can be set to be too aggressive, making
a bad situation terrible), HDFS is not one.

If the JVM dies, you likely need a human brain to log in and figure out what's wrong - or
just keep that node dead.

Brian

On Jan 3, 2011, at 10:40 PM, Allen Wittenauer wrote:

> On Jan 3, 2011, at 2:22 AM, Otis Gospodnetic wrote:
>> I see over on http://search-hadoop.com/?q=monit+daemontools that people *do* use

>> tools like monit and daemontools (and a few other ones) to keep revive their
>> Hadoop processes when they die.
>>

> 	I'm not a fan of doing this for Hadoop processes, even TaskTrackers and DataNodes.
The processes generally die for a reason, usually indicating that something is wrong with
the box.  Restarting those processes may potentially hide issues.