From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Why Hadoop is slow in Cloud
Date Fri, 21 Jan 2011 09:56:10 GMT
On 20/01/11 23:24, Marc Farnum Rendino wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 2:50 PM, Edward Capriolo<edlinuxguru@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> As for virtualization,paravirtualization,emulation.....(whatever ulization)
>
> Wow; that's a really big category.
>
>> There are always a lot of variables, but the net result is always
>> less. It may be 2% 10% or 15%, but it is always less.
>
> If it's less of something I don't care about, it's not a factor (for me).
>
> On the other hand, if I'm paying less and getting more of what I DO
> care about, I'd rather go with that.
>
> It's about the cost/benefit *ratio*.

There's also perf vs storage. On a big cluster, you could add a second
Nehalem CPU and maybe get 10-15% boost on throughput, or for the same
capex and opex add 10% new servers, which at scale means many more TB of
storage and the compute to go with it. The decision rests with the team
and their problems.