From Adarsh Sharma <adarsh.sha...@orkash.com>
Subject Why Hadoop is slow in Cloud
Date Mon, 17 Jan 2011 04:11:54 GMT
Dear all,

Yesterday I performed a kind of testing between *Hadoop in Standalone
Servers* & *Hadoop in Cloud.

*I establish a Hadoop cluster of 4 nodes ( Standalone Machines ) in
which one node act as Master ( Namenode , Jobtracker ) and the remaining
nodes act as slaves ( Datanodes, Tasktracker ).
On the other hand, for testing Hadoop in *Cloud* ( Euclayptus ), I made
one Standalone Machine as *Hadoop Master* and the slaves are configured
on the VM's in Cloud.

I am confused about the stats obtained after the testing. What I
concluded that the VM are giving half peformance as compared with
Standalone Servers.

I am expected some slow down but at this level I never expect. Would
this is genuine or there may be some configuration problem.

I am using 1 GB (10-1000mb/s) LAN in VM machines and 100mb/s in
Standalone Servers.

Please have a look on the results and if interested comment on it.

Thanks & Regards

Adarsh Sharma