From Saurabh Gokhale <saurabh_gokh...@yahoo.com>
Subject Question regarding a System good candidate for Hadoop?
Date Sun, 02 Jan 2011 00:14:05 GMT
Hi All,

I am new to Hadoop and currently evaluating if Hadoop can be the choice for the
existing system at work.

>From the Hadoop documentation read so far, I am unable to evaluate whether the
following system is a good candidate for Hadoop

System details:
1> Tax calculating system
2> Multiple Input Text files (of around 50 MB in size)
3> Intense logic for calculating tax. This logic is already written in C and
currently does some part of the calculation in parallel.

Is this system a good candidate for Hadoop where
1> I will be able to run it on HDFS
2> Able to write Java Map Reduce programs which can internally call existing C
code which will have all the logic.
3> Or wrote C Map Reduce programs using Streaming.
4> Do not want to rewrite the logic to calculate tax in Java, want to use
existing C classes.

Can some one pls help me with this question

Thanks in advance

Saurabh