From voropaev <vorop...@corp.mail.ru>
Subject Re: Help with "Hadoop common not found." error when launching bin/start-dfs.sh.
Date Wed, 08 Dec 2010 06:43:57 GMT
This variable should be exported before you call start-dfs.sh, e.g.
'export HADOOP_HOME=/usr/local/hadoop ; ./bin/start-dfs.sh'

On 11/30/2010 10:59 PM, Greg Troyan wrote:
> I am building a cluster using Michael G. Noll's instructions found here:
>
> http://www.michael-noll.com/tutorials/running-hadoop-on-ubuntu-linux-multi-node-cluster/
>
> I have set up two single node clusters and they work fine. When I change their configurations
to behave as a single cluster (by changing conf/masters, conf/slaves, conf/core-site.xml,
conf/mapred-site.xml and conf/hdfs-site.xml on each server) and then run bin/start-dfs.sh
on the master node I receive a "Hadoop common not found" error. I receive this error with
0.21.0 and 0.20.1

> I've found two solutions regarding this.
>
> One is regarding a bug fix for 0.21.0:

> that talks about adding code to "hdfs-config.sh" and "mapred-config.sh". I added the
code at the beginnings of each file and it didn't fix it.

> I tried using 0.20.1 and per Michael's suggestion, I get that I'm supposed to "set the
HADOOP_HOME variable", but in which script? I've tried adding

> export HADOOP_HOME=/usr/local/hadoop
> export HADOOP_COMMON_HOME=/usr/local/hadoop/common
>
> and/or
>
> export HADOOP_HOME=/usr/local/hadoop
> export HADOOP_COMMON_HOME=/usr/local/hadoop
>
> to conf/hadoop-env.sh to no avail.
>

> Can anyone help me fix this problem?

> Zecco.com is a financial portal of Zecco Holdings, Inc. Zecco Holdings, Inc. is not a
securities broker/dealer. Securities offered through Zecco Trading, Inc. The content of this
message and its attachments is intended only for the use of the intended recipient and may
contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any
dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message or its attachments is prohibited.
If you received this message in error, please notify the sender by replying to this email
immediately and delete this message and its attachments from your computer.