From Seth Lepzelter <...@frb.gov>
Subject files that don't really exist?
Date Mon, 13 Dec 2010 16:51:48 GMT
I've got a smallish cluster of 12 nodes up from 6, that we're using to dip
our feet into hadoop.  One of my users has a few directories in his HDFS
home which he was using to test, and which exist, according to

hadoop fs -ls <home directory>

ie:

/user/ken/testoutput4
/user/ken/testoutput5

but if you do:

hadoop fs -ls /user/ken/testoutput5

you get:

ls: Cannot access /user/ken/testoutput5: No such file or directory.

I can even hadoop fs -mkdir /user/ken/testoutput5, and then -rmr it, and it
works fine, but then -ls still shows it.

same for -rmr.  There's nothing important in the directories, so I'd just
remove them, but it won't let me.  I've tried fsck'ing, no luck there.
Anyone have an idea how I might clean this up, and how it might have
happened in the first place?

I'm pretty sure the directories were copied over from another cluster in
their current state, if that helps shine a light.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Seth