From Alex Kozlov <ale...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Is there a way to use the Cloudera Distribution without root access
Date Tue, 09 Nov 2010 00:34:57 GMT
Hi Steven,

It is entirely possible to configure Hadoop to run in the user space (with
the exception of the security-enabled CDH3b3, but any prior to this should
work).  You will not be able to install it from RPMs since it requires root
access, but it should work from a tarball distribution.  You should even be
able to start/stop the whole cluster with a single {start,stop}-all.sh
command from $HADOOP_HOME/bin directory if you distribute ssh keys and
enable passwordless ssh (I don't know if your admins will frown on this as
well).  The service scripts in /etc/init.d obviously will be off limits.

Let us know if you have any specific questions.

--
Alex Kozlov
Solutions Architect