From Christopher Worley <cwor...@mymail.mines.edu>
Subject Re: Hadoop installation on Windows
Date Sat, 13 Nov 2010 23:34:57 GMT
Thanks for the advice, guys.  I found this tutorial that covers
installation of 0.21.0:
http://alans.se/blog/2010/hadoop-hbase-cygwin-windows-7-x64/

The author suggests adding the "CLASSPATH=`cygpath -wp "$CLASSPATH"`"
to bin/hadoop-config.sh just like you suggested.  I made that change
and then checked the version.  Here's what I got:

$ bin/hadoop version
cygwin warning:
  MS-DOS style path detected: C:\cygwin\usr\local\hadoop-0.21.0\/build/native
  Preferred POSIX equivalent is: /usr/local/hadoop-0.21.0/build/native
  CYGWIN environment variable option "nodosfilewarning" turns off this warning.
  Consult the user's guide for more details about POSIX paths:
    http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#using-pathnames
Hadoop 0.21.0
Subversion https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/branches/branch-0.21 -
r 985326
Compiled by tomwhite on Tue Aug 17 01:02:28 EDT 2010
>From source with checksum a1aeb15b4854808d152989ba76f90fac

It gives a warning on the path format, but it appears to work--it
gives the correct Hadoop version.

When I try to do the next step, formatting the namenode, I get the
following exceptions:
http://pastebin.com/YhZ8JZjG

When I try to run "bin/start-dfs.sh" or "bin/start-mapred.sh" I get
"Hadoop common not found".

I appreciate any help.

-Chris