From Christopher Worley <christoph.wor...@gmail.com>
Subject Hadoop installation on Windows
Date Thu, 11 Nov 2010 17:36:45 GMT

I'm trying to get Hadoop working on Cygwin/Windows XP in
Pseudo-Distributed Mode.  I downloaded version 0.21.0 and unpacked it
to a cygwin directory.  I'm following the quickstart directions here:

I get the following error when I try to check the Hadoop version:

$ bin/hadoop --version
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.hadoop.util.PlatformName

Could not find the main class: org.apache.hadoop.util.PlatformName.  Program wil
l exit.
Unrecognized option: --version

I get similar exceptions when I run "start-all.sh", but I am still
able to browse the web interface for NameNode and JobTracker.

I'm sure has something to do with an installation step that I'm
missing--some step that windows users have to do, that linux users do
not.  I did web searches for this problem, but I only found it
occurring when people were building Hadoop.  I'm not building.

I appreciate any help anyone can give.

View raw message