From Ricky Ho <rickyphyl...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Is there a single command to start the whole cluster in CDH3 ?
Date Tue, 23 Nov 2010 20:43:02 GMT
Thanks for pointing me to the right command.  I am using the CDH3 distribution.
I figure out no matter what I put in the masters file, it always start the
NamedNode at the machine where I issue the "start-all.sh" command.  And always
start a SecondaryNamedNode in all other machines.  Any clue ?

Rgds,
Ricky

-----Original Message-----
From: Hari Sreekumar [mailto:hsreekumar@clickable.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2010 10:25 AM
To: common-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: Is there a single command to start the whole cluster in CDH3 ?

Hi Ricky,

         Which hadoop version are you using? I am using hadoop-0.20.2 apache
version, and I generally just run the $HADOOP_HOME/bin/start-dfs.sh and
start-mapred.sh script on my master node. If passwordless ssh is configured,
this script will start the required services on each node. You shouldn't
have to start the services on each node individually. The secondary namenode
is specified in the conf/masters file. The node where you call the
start-*.sh script becomes the namenode(for start-dfs) or jobtracker(for
start-mapred). The node mentioned in the masters file becomes the 2ndary
namenode, and the datanodes and tasktrackers are the nodes which are
mentioned in the slaves file.

HTH,
Hari