From Da Zheng <zhengda1...@gmail.com>
Subject monitor the hadoop cluster
Date Thu, 11 Nov 2010 19:52:23 GMT
Hello,

I wrote a MapReduce program and ran it on a 3-node hadoop cluster, but
its running time varies a lot, from 2 minutes to 3 minutes. I want to
understand how time is used by the map phase and the reduce phase, and
hope to find the place to improve the performance.

Also the current input data is sorted, so I wrote a customized
partitioner to reduce the data shuffling across the network. I need some
means to help me observe the data movement.

I know hadoop community developed chukwa for monitoring, but it seems
very immature right now. I wonder how people monitor hadoop cluster
right now. Is there a good way to solve my problems listed above?

Thanks,
Da