From Allen Wittenauer <awittena...@linkedin.com>
Subject Re: Support for different users and different installation directories on different machines?
Date Mon, 08 Nov 2010 07:22:42 GMT

On Nov 7, 2010, at 9:44 AM, Zhenhua Guo wrote:

> It seems that currently Hadoop assumes that it is installed under the
> same directory using the same userid on different machines.
> Currently, following two bullets cannot be done without hacks (correct
> me if I am wrong):
> 1) install Hadoop as different users on different machines
> 2) Hadoop is installed under different directories.
>
> Anybody had the same problem? How did you solve it?

	The start and stop scripts have directory layout assumptions.  The alternative is to use
hadoop-daemon.sh to start/stop manually each service on each node.  To work around different
users, you might need to modify the members list of the supergroup.  But I don't remember
if that is necessary or not.

	It should be noted that using different users and different directory layouts is not recommended
and you will likely end up being very very frustrated.