From Harsh J <qwertyman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Question on distributed hadoop setup
Date Wed, 13 Oct 2010 16:56:57 GMT
Do the 12 hosts have no identity/address known? AFAIK, you need to
install Hadoop to a local disk in each of the nodes in order to have
separate configuration for each of them. You can run them off a common
place too I guess, but the configuration would have to be common
always.

By specifying the right hostnames/ip-addresses in the masters and
slaves files you should be fine.

It could work this way if you just have two machines:
masters =>
snoopy.domain.etc.etc

slaves =>
snoopy.domain.etc.etc
bonobo.domain.etc.etc

Provided your nodes can talk to each other without issues and ssh
works fine between them.

If you don't want to use the ssh easiness, you may start the nodes
manually on each node via hadoop <node-type> or via the JAR, etc. by
logging onto them and issuing so.

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 9:24 PM, maha <maha@umail.ucsb.edu> wrote:
> Thanks for the link HTH, that's a great link, but actually  hadoop is in my account,
so whether I accessed 'snoopy' or 'booboo' I can see hadoop installed i. How can I specify
that the hadoop in my account is for one of them and install another for the other computer?
is it through the hadoop.tmp.dir by including 'snoopy.cs.ucsb.edu' and 'booboo.cs.ucsb.edu'
as hosts?master and slave?

>    Thanks,
>         Maha
>

> On Oct 12, 2010, at 9:04 PM, Medha Atre wrote:
>
>> http://www.michael-noll.com/wiki/Running_Hadoop_On_Ubuntu_Linux_%28Multi-Node_Cluster%29
>>
>> HTH.
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 6:11 PM, maha <maha@umail.ucsb.edu> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>>  I'm trying to run Hadoop on two computers out of 12 network-connected computers.
I know only know the 2 computer names ( 'snoopy','booboo') as established by the department
and the host name is "cs.ucsb.edu".

--
Harsh J
www.harshj.com