From Chittaranjan Hota <h...@apple.com>
Subject Appending to existing files in HDFS
Date Fri, 17 Sep 2010 18:43:25 GMT
Hello,
I am new to Hadoop and to this forum.

Existing setup:
Basically we have an existing set up where data is collected from a
JMS Q and written on to hard disk without Hadoop. Typcial I/O using
log4j.

Problem Statement:
Now instead of writing it to hard disk, I would like to stream it to
HDFS, I know thats possible using the "FileSystem" class and create
method. Did a small POC on that as well.
However I am not able to append to the created files.

It throws the exception:
org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RemoteException: java.io.IOException: Append to
hdfs not supported. Please refer to dfs.support.append configuration
parameter.

Am looking for any pointers/suggestions to resolve this?
Please let me know if you need any further information.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Chitta
MobileMe Reporting