From Josh Patterson <j...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Hadoop and Cloud computing
Date Wed, 11 Aug 2010 16:57:57 GMT
Jackob,
Hadoop and MapReduce should not be thought of in the realm of only
text based processing; projects like the openPDC have shown Map Reduce
to be a very good at processing TBs of high resolution timeseries data
(from binary formats). Take a look at the "powered by" page on
hadoop.apache.org to look for other ideas as well.

In terms of architecture, there are some interesting discussions in
the HBase realm about dealing with hot spots and how HBase and HDFS
work together. You might ask Jonathan Gray or Michael Stack over in
the hbase irc channel about what they are facing, I'm sure they would
provide you with an interesting discussion.

Josh