From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Hadoop and Cloud computing
Date Wed, 11 Aug 2010 09:43:02 GMT
On 10/08/10 15:00, Jackob Carlsson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to write a thesis proposal about my PhD about usage of hadoop in
> cloud computing. I need to find some open problems in cloud computing which
> can be addressed by hadoop. I would appreciate if somebody could help me to
> find some topics.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Jackob

This might be a starting point
http://www.slideshare.net/steve_l/hadoop-and-universities

* what do you mean by "cloud computing"; if it is VM-hosted code running
on Pay-as-yo-go Infrastructure, this is the kind of problem:
http://www.slideshare.net/steve_l/farming-hadoop-inthecloud

  -placing VMs close to the data
  -handling failure differently (don't blacklist, kill the VM)
  -making Hadoop and its clients more adaptive to clusters where the
machines are moving around more.

Other options
  -running Hadoop physically, but use the spare cycles/memory for other
work, so the tasktrackers must co-ordinate Hadoop work scheduling with
other work

  -running Hadoop directly against the underlying filesystem of the
infrastructure, instead of HDFS.
http://www.slideshare.net/steve_l/high-availability-hadoop

Where are you based? If you are in the UK we could meet some time, I'll
be at the opentech event in London next month.