From David Rosenstrauch <dar...@darose.net>
Subject Re: Partitioner in Hadoop 0.20
Date Wed, 04 Aug 2010 17:50:53 GMT
On 08/04/2010 12:30 PM, Owen O'Malley wrote:

> On Aug 4, 2010, at 8:38 AM, David Rosenstrauch wrote:
>
>> Anyone know if there's any particular reason why the new Partitioner
>> class doesn't implement JobConfigurable? (And, if not, whether there's
>> any plans to fix this omission?) We're working on a somewhat complex
>> partitioner, and it would be extremely helpful to be able to pass it
>> some parms via the jobconf.
>
> The short answer is that it doesn't need to. If you make your
> partitioner either Configured or JobConfigurable, it will be configured.
> The API class doesn't depend on it precisely because it is not required
> for all partitioners.
>
> -- Owen

?  Not sure I understand correctly ... can you pls clarify?

So if I make my custom partitioner implement JobConfigurable, then its
configure(JobConf) method will automagically get called and allow me to
configure it with info in the jobConf that's passed in?  (Note that
making it extend from Configured is not an option, since it needs to
extend from org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.Partitioner.)

Thanks,

DR