From "Ankur C. Goel" <gan...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: HDFS InputStream and ZipFiles
Date Tue, 20 Jul 2010 09:40:13 GMT
Java's ZipFile does not work off an input stream so it cannot be used with HDFS.
ZipInputStream can work with HDFS but its utility is limited by the fact that one cannot seek
to random zip (for distributed processing) entries as in zipfile.
Also Java's ZipFile implementation does not work on files > 4 GB.

There's a JIRA for this - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAPREDUCE-210