From Arun Ramakrishnan <aramakrish...@languageweaver.com>
Subject RE: decommissioning nodes help
Date Fri, 09 Jul 2010 00:14:11 GMT
And curiously ( albeit alarmingly ), I don't see network activity ( thru cacti ) on these nodes
indicating blocks are being moved to compensate for the excluded nodes. This is in the past
2 hours since the process was started  ( steps a and b below ).

Note: I have set dfs.balance.bandwidthPerSec = 2000000

Thanks
Arun

From: Arun Ramakrishnan [mailto:aramakrishnan@languageweaver.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 08, 2010 4:59 PM
To: hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: decommissioning nodes help

Hi guys
 I am a stuck in my attempt to remove nodes from hdfs.
I followed the steps in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-1125

a)     add node to dfs.hosts.exclude

b)       dfsadmin -refreshNodes

c)      wait for decom to finish

d)     remove node from both dfs.hosts and dfs.hosts.exclude

But after step a) and b) how do I know if decommission is complete.
I am in the process of decommissioning 6 nodes and don't want to loose any blocks ( rep factor
is 3 ) with a restart.

I also opened https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-1290 if anyone is interested.

Thanks
Arun